Image and video hosting by 

TinyPic

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sleep Paralysis, or Demons






Science now has an explanation for something, for something I've experienced from time to time. Known by many many names throughout history; including the "old hag" in Newfoundland (for an old witch thought to sit on the chest of the paralyzed sleeper), "kokma" in the West Indies (for a ghost baby who jumps on the sleeper's chest and attacks the throat), "kanashibari" in Japan and "gui ya" or ghost pressure in China (because a ghost is believed to sit on and assault the sleeper), as you can see it's been going on for ages and had many names based on different cultures.

Myself I've always thought it's demons and many other people do. I'm on the thinking that it's just sciences way of explaining something they still quite don't understand. I've always heard laughter and sometimes even speaking during my episodes and yes it's scary as hell. I decided to do a little research on the subject and wanted to share it here, who knows perhaps someone else will get something useful out of it.


Scientists believe that the syndrome is caused by a dysfunction in R.E.M. sleep. It's when your mind wakes up, usually still in a semi-REM state, but your body is still relaxed. Not much else is really known, but as I said stories of the what I feel is supernatural phenomena has been going on for ages. In a recent survey it is suggested that between 25-30% of the general population has suffered some form of Sleep Paralysis, with 95% of these experiencing a horrifying event. Yes, it does run in the family, if you have suffered an episode, chances are there's a member within your close family who has also experienced this; thing is don't want to talk about if fear of others thinking they've lost their mind.

The name of the phenomenon comes from the superstitious belief that a witch - or an old hag - sits or "rides" the chest of the victims, rendering them immobile. Although that explanation isn't taken very seriously nowadays, the perplexing and often very frightening nature of the phenomenon leads many people to believe that there are supernatural forces at work - ghosts or demons.

The experience is so damn frightening because the victims, although paralyzed, seem to have full use of their senses. In fact, it is often accompanied by strange smells, the sound of approaching footsteps, apparitions or weird shadows with glowing eyes. All of the body's senses are telling you that something real and very scary is happening to you. Some research shows that people who suffer from anxiety or anxiety disorders have a pre-disposition to these night terrors, personally I've had a couple of these through out my life. While I'd like to say I wasn't that much of a nervous kid, the truth is I was a jumpy bugger. So perhaps who knows why this happens.

One thing I do know is that I've always started praying when it happens, and at times I've heard voices and laughter. Which has led me to believe that there is more to this 'syndrome' or even then just something science can quickly dismiss. The stories of countless people that have suffered the event, almost all have the story of an evil presence in the room, growling, laughter and also voices. Countless people have also said that once praying or calling out to Jesus, that it goes away. I feel there has to be something there to it, I'm not quite sure but I still feel that science alone explains the tormenting visions and fear that many have faced at night.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home